11 April 2020

2020 first quarter reads.

This post was originally titled "january reads" because that is when I opened up this post, and it has sat empty all the way up to now.  So, now we're at "first quarter reads" and I'm going to regret doing this because three months of books is insane, but whatever.  These are going to be shorter than usual, but here we go.

January

The Girl in the Tower (#2) and
The Winter of the Witch (#3) by Katherine Arden
(Book #1 in this series, The Bear and the Nightingale, was my last read of 2019, so I reviewed it in my December reads post). I truly loved this trilogy, it was so atmospheric and wonderful and a perfect read for winter.  I think Vasya is the kind of heroine I aspire to be.

The Illuminae Files:
Illuminae,
Gemina, and
Obsidio by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
I read and loved Aurora Rising, this author duo's newest space series that started last year, so I figured I should check out their first one, and WOW.  So fun and such a compelling series to read.  Illuminae was freakin' amazing, and Gemina and Obsidio were kind of just copies of Illuminae, but I didn't really care all that much.  Highly recommend!
Spoilery side note: Illuminae combined my two biggest irrational fears: being stranded out in space and zombies.  My anxiety was raging while I read this, but I still loved it.

To All the Boys I've Loved Before and
P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han
Gang, I think High School Romances are just Not For Me.  And I was extremely unimpressed by Peter Kavinksy, I was rooting against him in Books One (until it was revealed that Josh and Margo's relationship had been sexual, obviously) and Two (ESPECIALLY after I saw how Netflix made John McEnroe-Whatever WAYYYYY cuter than he was supposed to be in the book), and I was wrong both times.  I'm always wrong.  Anyway, I did not care to read Book Three.  No more Peter for me, thanks.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians:
The Lightning Thief,
The Sea of Monsters,
The Titan's Curse,
The Battle of the Labyrinth, and
The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan
Okay, this series is freaking amazing and SO SO funny.  Like, some of the dialogue was so perfectly middle school in the best possible way, and it had me laughing out loud throughout.  The characters were *chef's kiss*, the quests were *chef's kiss*, and the Greek mythology was *chef's kiss*.  Add this series to the list of books I am most excited to read with my kids some day.

Daughter of the Pirate King and
Daughter of the Siren Queen by Tricia Levenseller
Book One: I really liked!  It was fun and the banter between Riden and Alosa was perfect.
Book Two: less fun because there was less banter, but still a fun read.

Tweet Cute by Emma Lord
Okay, I'm realizing now that I have to take back my blanket NO HIGH SCHOOL ROMANCES I made like two minutes ago because I really loved this story and thought it was perfect in every way that I wanted it to be.  Love the letter-writing/texting trope, but ESPECIALLY the anonymous kind, and this book had it!

Well Met by Jen DeLuca
I loved this story so much!  Throughout the book I found myself wondering "Are Renaissance Faires romantic???" which I believe speaks to HOW GOOD the author is.  Well Met is now a physical book on my shelf, which is a rare honor for a romance.

Devious Lies by Parker S. Huntington
Okay, I saw this promoted on Amazon as a "standalone enemies-to-lovers romance" and was like, Sign Me Up.  And then I found out it was 700 pages??  And look, I've been unexpectedly liking the majority of the romances I decide to read, but a 700-pager??  Never doing it again.  This book was just fine, it had a good amount of angst, which I liked, but not a favorite.

The Bromance Book Club by Lyssa Kay Adams
I thought the premise of this book was hilarious, and many parts of it were, indeed, hilarious!  I was laughing out loud and really enjoyed myself while reading this.  It was also really heavy at times because a marriage is at stake, and even though all romances have happy endings, I still felt the gravity of the stakes and it was a little tense sometimes.


February

One of Us is Lying by Karen McManus
Meh.

The Heroes of Olympus:
The Lost Hero,
The Son of Neptune,
The Mark of Athena,
The House of Hades, and 
The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan
Holy 2500-page series, Batman.  I was skeptical almost all throughout The Lost Hero, and then the last 50 pages happened and I was HOOKED.  I read these back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back and my brain was EXHAUSTED at the end, but it was still a fun ride.  The House of Hades was my favorite of the series, and I would die a million times for Nico di Angelo (and not just because he might greet me in the Underworld).

Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young
My first re-read of the year!  I was following along with the author on her Instagram for a readalong of this book, and to be honest I was really nervous.  I remember having such intense, visceral feelings when I read SitD for the first time last year, and it was part of what made me love the book so much.  I never cry when I read books (not yet, at least), but this got me the closest I've ever gotten and I teared up so much when I read it last year.  ANYWAY, I was afraid that with the re-read, I wouldn't get those same feelings and the experience wouldn't be as impactful.
And I was happily wrong!  I still teared up, I still felt all the feelings, and it all just made it extra clear: this is one of my favorite books of all time.  I cannot wait to read it again.

Autoboyography by Christina Lauren
This one really gutted me and had me in turmoil for days.  I gave this 5 stars because the story was really great, but also... it really upset me.  This book isn't a work of fiction, it's nonfiction, and that makes me sad and mad and...

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
My first classic read since college!  (Oof.)  I wanted to read this because I got a book in January that is a gender-swapped retelling of TCoMC, and I really liked it.  There were parts that were so funny, and others that were so sad, and also really gratifying parts.  I love a good revenge-fantasy, and although I would have liked a even more confrontation and comeuppance at the end, I'm glad I read this.
Also, Edmond Dantes is the OG Scheming Character.  While I was reading the last half I kept thinking OHHHH so THIS is who Aelin and Kaz were emulating.  Got it.


March

The Renegades Trilogy:
Renegades,
Archenemies, and
Supernova by Marissa Meyer
I didn't hate this series.  I actually really liked the characters and the Superheroes vs. Supervillains concept was a lot less boring than I was anticipating.  BUT, one thing really effin' bugged me about this series. (Spoilers ahead)  Our main character, Nova, is a spy.  I'm fine with that.  But this is what I was expecting:
- Book One ending with her being found out
- Book Two being her and the friends she made as a spy grappling with her betrayal but eventually getting through it and coming together
- Book Three being everyone being the team they were meant to be and beating the bad guys, andsoforth.
Why was I expecting this?  Because this is how books go!  Because this is the formula that works and lends to good flow and pacing!
When did Nova get found out as a spy, you ask??  BOOK THREE.  AND THEN, it was a false alarm and she was able to keep up the ruse for a little longer!!  It was all deeply infuriating and I will never be able to get over that.  NEVER.
The epilogue was awesome, though.

This Train is Being Held by Ismee Amiel Williams
Another High School Romance I enjoyed.  Dangit, I need to revoke that earlier statement.

The Plain Janes by Cecil Castellucci
A fun and uplifting graphic novel collection that put a smile on my face!  Great for Middle School ages and up looking for a good story about female friendships.

All the Stars and Teeth by Adalyn Grace
A fun read with an interesting (and large!) world and magic system.  A little forgettable, but I chalk that up to all of the craziness that went down when I read this (March 11th).  Will look for the sequel next year.

House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J. Maas
I did a whole thing on my IG Stories that was fun and a good way to keep my mind off of the disappointment of my Amsterdam trip being cancelled.  Most of my thoughts are there, but in summation:
- not yet obsessed with this series or the (current) main ship
- insanely massive world that I need to take notes for next time I read
- most likeable character: Ruhn
- most intriguing character: Aidas 👀
- this was not ACOTAR 4, and that's what I really want.
Also, the freaking cover.  I hate it SO MUCH, it does not help with the confusion over what the fork the actual title of this book is.  Anyone with like, a fifth-grader's knowledge of marketing could look at that cover and tell you it's confusing as hell.

The Winner's Trilogy:
The Winner's Curse,
The Winner's Crime, and
The Winner's Kiss by Marie Rutkoski
Book One: Slave-Master dynamics were deeply intriguing, but didn't go quite where I wanted it.
Book Two: Frustrating, forgettable.
Book Three: Oh dip, it's the Memory Loss Trope, one of my favorites ever, do I love this series??

The Honey-Don't List by Christina Lauren
So funny and the fastest read ever.

The Infernal Devices:
Clockwork Angel,
Clockwork Prince, and
Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare
Okay.  So last year I read City of Bones and gave it one of the only one-star ratings I've ever given.  I hated it, and was disappointed to not be obsessed with this whole series/universe because I was missing out on a million books to read.  BUT THEN, I kept seeing people say that The Infernal Devices was the best on the universe, way better than TMI, and dangit if it wasn't giving me FOMO.
So, Chain of Gold came into the library last month, and I knew that it was the story of the descendants of the people in TID, and that cover is freakin gorgeous, so I was like, OK SO WE'RE DOIN' THIS.
Maybe I should preface this by saying that I really really do not like Love Triangles.  I might even say that I hate them.  And with Book One and Book Two I was like, yep, here we go, typical Love Triangle stuff that I don't like.  But I gave them each three stars because I didn't have any glaring issues.
And then... Book Three happened, and I was like OH is this what Love Triangles can be like?  Can this happen?  Also, should they just have been a throuple?
I still have mixed feelings about the Epilogue, but I think I liked it?  It was not what I was expecting AT ALL, and it does feel a little weird, but mostly I think I liked it.  As for my rating of Book Three, I bumped it up a full star just for this one scene between Will and Jem alone that was heartbreaking and sweet and everything that a best-friendship should be.
I realized that the way to read these books (this universe??) is for the characters, and not necessarily for the plot.  And as far as characters go, I think Tessa, Will, and Jem are pretty good ones.

(I kinda want to get right in to my thoughts on Chain of Gold right now, but I read it in April, so I guess I'll post about it... in July??)

No comments:

Post a Comment