23 April 2020

#datquarantinelife

Well.  I have absolutely no idea how to introduce this post, so I'm just getting into it.



Neighborhood walks have become an essential part of our lives, and I have to say: Vivi really crushes it with those sunglasses.


We've revived our garden for the year and are looking forward to seeing things grow again.  I also bought a bunch of indoor houseplants a few weeks ago, because I realized that if I was going to be stuck at home for who-knows-how-long, I needed some green inside to boost spirits.  So far I haven't killed any, and they are all doing well!

Related: I told Theo that the plants "help us breathe better and make us happy," and soon after he suggested that in order for "the world" to feel better maybe everyone should gets plants to help them breathe.


Now that I'm back in full-time SAHM mode, it's my main job to make sure that the kids don't bother Jon while he's working.  I mean, that has always been the case, but I think I feel it more now while he has his contracts in tact and is wanting to do other work things that will help keep us stable for who-knows-how-long.  Anyway, Theo and Vivi's new favorite game is to ambush Jon when they know he is coming upstairs.  The first time they did it was so funny, I'm glad I got a picture of it.


Just in time for self-isolation, the little Tyrannos Regina has evolved into her highest form.  At least, I hope it's her highest form because I honestly cannot take increased levels of tyranny from her.  She's been insanely hard these last seven weeks, which you would not be able to tell from the pictures above.  Lots of screaming and tantruming, and lots of nudity.  Yes, NUDITY.  She refuses to wear clothes, takes off her diapers often, and sees no problem with going out to play in the yard in just a diaper and boots when it's in the 40s.  Yesterday a straight-up miracle happened and she allowed me to fully dress her and do her hair a little.  She looked so lovely and sweet!  And then one hour later...


...it was over.


I've been keeping busy, trying to find that balance between cooking, cleaning, and reading.  Thank goodness for audiobooks, which have allowed me to feel extra productive during this time.  Jon and I have really loved Bon Appetit's Youtube channel the last while, and I was inspired by one to make "Master Stock" yesterday.  I've make stock loads of times before, but this was the first time I've made it with ham, and YOU GUYS.  It makes the biggest difference and the most delicious stock ever.  Never making stock without ham ever again!

I actually haven't been doing as much baking as everyone else seems to be doing.  Flour is rarely on the shelves at our store, and I think that has made me instinctively ration it out.  I see lots of posts about people trying or keeping up with sourdough baking and... *sigh*.  Am I the only person whose eyes have been opened during quarantine and shelf shortages to the fact that sourdough starters are... kind of a monumental waste of product??  I dunno, maybe it's different if you're actually successful (which I never was), but STILL.  Feeding it every day and using only a fraction of that starter... does not sit well with me at the moment.  ANYWAY.


I've been reading almost nonstop, it's the best kind of escapism.  I stopped checking in on my personal IG account, because I frankly can't keep feeling angry at nonsense I'm seeing people engaging in, or bad about myself because apparently homeschooling is going amazingly in other houses.  (SURELY, that's a lie, right?  RIGHT???)

Enter: books.  I've read so many four-star reads that I've really enjoyed in March and April, but last night I read one that I well and truly LOVED.  I'll write alllll about it in this month's reading wrapup.  (Yes, just the month, not the whole quarter this time!)

Oh yeah, and Easter happened!  Here's this year's Easter video:






Theo had a Zoom meeting with one of his teachers today to work on his Speech, and they were working on opposites.  And it made me think about how the last seven weeks have seen all of the opposites.  It's been winter and spring, we've been sick and well, we've been entertained and bored, we've done good schooling one day and way too much screen time the next.  I've felt really grateful and optimistic one moment, and then totally freaked out and angry the next.  I've been glad for the escape and humor that the internet offers, and then want to throw my phone in a river for something infuriating I read.  I've felt so incredibly glad for my little family and how much I love them and don't have to be separated from them during this time, and also I've completely lost my mind and would have given anything to be by myself and not see them for at least two weeks.

It's back and forth, and it's going to keep being that way for who-knows-how-long.

Thank goodness for walks.
Thank goodness for plants that are still alive.
Thank goodness for books.
Thank goodness for stock made with ham.

But also... you know.
F*ck all of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment