10 December 2019

november reads.

Dear Girls, by Ali Wong
This was so hilarious, so gross, and relatable on several levels.  We stan Ali Wong in all mediums!

Serpent & Dove, by Shelby Mahurin
There was SO MUCH hype surrounding this book, and I found it just okay.  I think I neither loved nor hated it.  But I have lots of thoughts!
I found the characters and their conflicts with each other to be vastly more interesting than the plot or what was happening around them.  I thought that Reid's coming around to Lou should have happened more gradually or slower than it did, given his lifelong prejudice against her kind.  I was expecting a betrayal or at least a drawn out conflict between Reid and Lou at least through another book, but their relationship troubles were seemingly resolved by the end of the book.  Reid's change of heart is admirable... I guess??  Honestly, I thought Ansel was the star example in the book of how to change towards a group of people you've been trained to be prejudiced towards.  MORE PATS FOR ANSEL.
Lastly, I really liked the sex-positivity of the book, but especially the depiction of teaching a virgin man how to have a mutually enjoyable sex experience.  It was a new thing for me to read about and I 100% approve.  More of those.  Not limited to men who are virgins.

The Starless Sea, Erin Morgenstern
This book was sooo beautiful, which I think is now a thing we must come to expect from Erin Morgenstern.  The little references here and there to pop culture didn't take me out of the story and often times were fun little easter eggs.  I loved Zachary, I loved him and Dorian, and I obviously would love to read a cute romance just about them post-Starless Sea.  FANFIC WRITERS: WHO WILL ANSWER THE CALL?!?

Carry On, Rainbow Rowell
I freaking LOVED this book.  It was so unique and special!  Starting at the last year of school is refreshing, having a Chosen One who kinda sucks is hilarious, and the use of clichés as magic spells is genius.  I think this was the first book with vampires in it that I have ever loved.  The only bad thing about finishing this book was waiting for the library's ebook of Wayward Son.  I stared at "Available Soon" for a week before it was my turn to read the sequel.  In that time I decided that I wanted to read only standalones or quick reads in cases Wayward Son suddenly became available.  Which is the informal introduction to reading the next three reads:

Forever..., by Judy Blume
I have a really hard time getting invested in teen romances.  I think it's because reality dictates that these usually never last and you always break up with your first love?  Anyway.  This story was less an interesting or compelling story and more like a guide on how to have sex when you're new at it.  Which is not to say that it's not worthwhile!  I actually think I want to make this required reading for my children one day.  I think it has a lot of value, just not a relationship or story I care about more than the sex education.

Attachments, by Rainbow Rowell
This was an adult romance that was just fine.  This book has aged surprisingly well, though the freaking out about Y2K is really funny to read about now.  It just took too forking long for the characters to actually meet and get together.  Like, it's criminal what Rainbow Rowell does to the main couple here.

Fangirl, by Rainbow Rowell
I really loved this book!  It was really nostalgic for me; I was constantly thinking of my freshman year and imagined Cath's dorm to be exactly like mine.  I feel like I say this anytime I read or watch something that involves fandoms in any way, but I wish I was even half as brave as Cath was to display her geekiness.  Levi was totally sweet and cute; he reminded me in some ways of Jon and that made me a little sad that I didn't know Jon while I was in the dorm-stage of college.  Lastly, it was super fun to see all of the little bits related to Carry On!

The Queen of Nothing, by Holly Black
Okay.  I know going into this that I was going to like it at a 3-star level - the same as the first 2 books in the series for me.  There was only one thing I was looking for, and it was also the only thing that would bump the rating up to 4 stars.  And that was Jude and Cardan at the very least nudging their way in the direction of a healthy relationship.  I wasn't even requiring a healthy relationship by the end, just some evidence that they were working toward it.  Because even though they are such a messed up couple throughout this series, it's hard not to ship them.  Anyway, I felt like they grew and made positive changes in that area, so this book got 4 stars from me.

Wayward Son, by Rainbow Rowell
Ooof.  Two chapters in, and all the sad feelings were inside me.  I know that when SimonxBaz get through to the other side they will be so solid and locked in, but for now it's really difficult to see them where they are now.  I liked the new character, Shep, and am looking forward to more development and backstory for him in the next book.  Mostly, I am excited to go back to England.  Seeing Simon react to the different pieces of America was funny and cute, but it also felt a little bit wrong to see the gang in this different setting.

Warcross
Wildcard, by Marie Lu
I loved everything about this book!  Emika was the perfect amount of likeable with an intriguing background, and Hideo is all the good kinds of broody, tortured genius.  Technology is practically it's own character in this book, and the tech aspect of this is exciting, fascinating, and terrifying all in one.  This is one of those books that I immediately added to Jon's TBR, which is something that I have formed in my head and taken charge of, haha.
The sequel, Wildcard, went in a direction I was not expecting.  In the end I'm not mad about it, but it's definitely a sadder book and doesn't have as much of the things that made Warcross so exciting.  The ending was not the most satisfying, but I think it was perfect for this book (and this author).  The ending is also really wide open for lots of good fanfic, haha.  Might have to go track those down one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment