18 April 2019

new orleans 2019.


At the beginning of April, I took a short trip to New Orleans.  It was my second "I'm Done Nursing Another Kid" trip by myself, and I was very excited for it.  I've wanted to visit NOLA for a long time and I was ready to eat and explore and recharge my Alone Time batteries.

And yet, somehow I was not prepared for how beautiful this city is.  If it weren't for the "Double 100" days in the summer, I'd fully be petitioning to Jon to move our family there.  I fell instantly in love.

1. I can't not take a photo of all the Burgundy Streets I meet.
2. A hotel in the downtown area that made me think of Paris.
St. Louis Cathedral in Jackson Square

Andrew Jackson and the St. Louis Cathedral

There are several parks in the city, but the two largest are Audobon Park and City Park.  I only saw small parts of each, but what I saw was beautiful and I loved them both.

Audobon Park

The Singing Oak, City Park

Something I wasn't expecting to see in City Park was The Singing Oak, this beautiful tree with several wind chimes of varying size hanging from its branches.  It was so relaxing and magical, and it had me wondering if it would be possible to recreate such an installation in the trees in our front yard.

Lafayette Cemetery No. 1

Lafayette Cemetery No. 1

One of my favorite things about my stay was actually where I stayed.  I booked an Airbnb right on the St. Charles Streetcar line.  This made traveling across the city very easy, but also I lived in the most beautiful neighborhood that was a joy to walk through (even on the warmer, more humid day on my trip!). Lafayette Cemetery No. 1 was just around the corner, along with the most gorgeous homes and the greenest city neighborhood you will ever find.  The Garden District was easily my favorite area, and I was constantly in awe of it all.





And now, everything I ate on my trip!

1. District Donuts: the Fried Chicken Sandwich, with a buttermilk garlic slaw, candied jalapeños, and a spicy pimento cheese sauce.  The chicken was so perfectly crispy that the generous amount of sauce didn't even ruin the meat's breading.  Even if this wasn't the first thing I ate after landing in New Orleans completely starving, this still would have been the best fried chicken sandwich I have ever had.

2. Cafe Beignet: beignets, obviously!  The only mistake I made was wearing black pants when I ordered these.

3. 1000 Figs: the Falafel Sandwich, with a root slaw, red cabbage, tahini, and zhoug.   An unexpectedly great part of this sandwich for me was the root slaw, I could have eaten it on its own as a side salad.  1000 Figs is a small place a short walk from City Park and St. Louis Cemetery No. 3, I highly recommend it.

4. Domilise's Po-Boy and Bar: their famous Shrimp Po Boy.  I'm not sure what is the traditional way to dress a po boy, but I kept mine simple with mayonnaise and hot sauce.  I got the half size and felt like I would burst, but how could I regret a fried shrimp sandwich?

5. Saba



I got Alon Shaya's cookbook for Christmas and I was really looking forward to eating at his restaurant on this trip.  He was actually there in the restaurant, and I was only geeking out a liiiiittle bit.

Anyway, I ordered the Blue Crab Hummus (with peas, mint, and lemon), which might be the most delicious thing I have ever ordered in a restaurant.  Have you ever taken a bite of something and it was so good that you're almost brought to tears?  That was me with the hummus.  I honestly could have done without the flatbread, I would have just eaten the whole bowl with a spoon.

I also ordered Safta's Fried Eggplant sandwich, which was a delight!

6. Chicken & Watermelon: the Cajun Creole chicken wings!  So delicious, and a little bit bittersweet. It reminded me of our beloved Wing Counter from Phoenix (RIP) and I told Jon that I wish we could live in NOLA just to go through the menu and try all of their different wing options, much like we did at Wing Counter.

7. Gracious Bakery & Cafe: My third and last day in New Orleans was a bit of a wash, as in, it was full of intense raining and thunderstorming.  When there was a moment where it seemed like the rain less like a deluge and more like a light shower, I grabbed my umbrella, ran across the street to this bakery, and got all of my food for the day.  Of course, as soon as I made it back home, the deluge returned.

Anyway, I ordered the Salmon Bagel, which I can never resist from a menu, a sweet cruffin, a savory cruffin, and a pain au chocolat.  Everything was delicious, and the cafe was really lovely.  I could imagine myself spending long hours inside or on the patio (on a dry day, of course) reading or working, which I don't believe can be said of every place that calls itself a cafe or makes itself out to be a place to comfortably spend lots of time in.

You know you are the baddest one / And the one I want

I love this city so much, and I can't wait to return many many times.

No comments:

Post a Comment