09 March 2016

what we ate (in february).

where we ate:

  • White Eyes Fresh Fry Bread: After we finally got the keys to our house, we celebrated by not cooking dinner.  One of Jon's favorite things to eat is fry bread, and if I remember correctly he begged his mother to make it when he took me to visit SJ with him for the first time.  WEFFB is a small eatery nearby, and we tried it out for the first time.  They have lots of options (savory and sweet toppings for your fry bread) and while on this occasion we didn't have dessert, I imagine we will be back soon when we need to fill our sweet fix.  I also didn't get a picture of our food, because I was distracted by the fact that Theo had dumped a whole cup of water onto the floor. (The staff was very gracious and understanding, which was very appreciated.)
  • The Wing Counter: Another local joint, I am addicted to this place.  (We have already eaten here twice!)  They have so many different sauce flavors to choose from for your wings, and I'm making it a goal to try all of them.  Except the "scorching" one, because I'm too chicken (GET IT??)  Our favorite sauce flavors so far are the Honey BBQ and Thai Sweet Chili.  We have also tried the BBQ (which for me was lacking something that the Honey BBQ seemed to have. So... honey?) and the Sriracha Honey, which I LOVED but for Jon it had a little too much of a spicy after-heat (I'm trying to convert that white boy to the Asian spice flavors, but to no avail thus far).  Their seasoned french fries are also great, and you can ask for them to be extra crispy if that's your jam.  They have three flavors of Kool-Aid, and it turns out that chicken wings and Kool-Aid is the greatest combo ever.  BUT!!!  The most craveable item on their menu might be their beignets.  They are fluffy and perfect and I daydream about them.  They are also temptingly priced (2 for $2) which is really hard to ignore when I drive by their place while doing errands.
The Wing Counter Beignets Glendale Arizona


what I cooked:
  • Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps: Another Williams-Sonoma recipe success story here.  This is incredibly easy to make, and it takes no time at all.  My number one suggestion: do not leave out the mung bean sprouts.  They add that perfect umami flavor to each bite (do I sound pretentious yet!!) and they complete everything.  We will definitely be making these again soon.
Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps Williams-Sonoma

  • Baked Shrimp Scampi with Linguine:  Over Valentine's weekend we were in the thick of moving, so we pushed our V-Day dinner to a later date.  I re-made our Valentine's dinner of last year, which is a combination of two Ina Garten recipes (Linguine with Shrimp Scampi from Barefoot Contessa Family Style and Baked Shrimp Scampi from Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics).  Jon's request for the dinner was that I make it less lemon-y than I did last year.  It was a fair request, as I tend to over lemon things.  (I can't help it, I love lemon!)  It was good advice, and the dinner was much better than last year's.  I'm still not sure if this dish will be a Valentine's tradition (it's quite garlicky... be careful the garlic kisses!!), but if it is I'm perfectly pleased to let it be.  We love the baked crunchy topping, it's the best part!
Baked Shrimp Scampi and Linguine Shrimp Scampi Ina Garten Barefoot Contessa

No comments:

Post a Comment