02 June 2018

my favorite recent comedy specials on netflix.

Netflix is a great place if you love comedy specials.  Here are some ones that have come out recently that I've really liked:

1. Hard Knock Wife, Ali Wong
Oh my goodness.  It wasn't until I was howling with laughter during this hour that I realized that humanity NEEDS more comedy specials by mothers.  There is an endless pool of stories and experiences to draw from and so many laughs to be had!  Not to mention, there is a particular joy in having a comedienne articulate (slash, rant) in a funny way everything that absolutely SUCKS about bringing a child into this world.  I've honestly never felt more connected to someone performing a standup routine ever.
That being said, there are some graphic sex jokes (and... charading 😳) to sift through in order to get to the motherhood and womanhood jokes.  Those aren't my cup of tea, but if you're a mom in need of a good laugh, it's 100% worth it.

2. Kid Gorgeous, John Mulaney
Checked this out because I've been a fan of his for a few years now.  (Another special of his, The Comeback Kid, is one of my favorite standup routines ever.)  One of the things I think is so great about John Mulaney is that he's a great storyteller, and his specials are essentially just an hour of him telling stories from his life.  I always watch late-night interviews with him because he always tells a story and it is always funny.  My favorite bit from Kid Gorgeous is not exactly a story, however, but an analogy.  Do not miss the Horse in a Hospital bit from this special!
Other things to check out for John Mulaney fans: his and Nick Kroll's Broadway play Oh, Hello (also on Netflix), "The Salt and Pepper Diner" on Youtube, and of course: every slip of Stefon on SNL's Weekend Update you can find.

3. Warn Your Relatives, Hari Kondabolu
This hour is so funny and SO smart.  Lots of great work where he talks about his encounters with racists and how he deals with it.  I loved his bit on mangoes, and his last joke on that subject had me dying laughing.  And the Kid Rock thing?  Insanely bizarre, but Hari recounts the experience in the funniest way.
If you like Warn Your Relatives: Hari made a documentary called The Problem With Apu, which talks about the deeply problematic portrayal of the character Apu from The Simpsons.  It's clever, it's enraging, and it's funny.

4. Happy to Be Here, Tig Notaro
Tig's style of humor isn't for everyone, but if you're into her then this hour is quite funny.  I loved the story of why she likes going to parties where she doesn't know anyone, and the guy who recognized her at the airport.  And the ending!  It had me on the edge of my seat!
Other places to find Tig: my first introduction to Tig Notaro was through This American Life, episode 476.  She also made an appearance in TAL's live show (the Taylor Dayne story!!!!).  There's also a program on Netflix called Tig, about her life post-cancer and trying to continue on her comedy from there.

5. Thank God For Jokes, Mike Birbiglia
Mike Birbiglia is a joy to watch/hear, and Jon and I both really enjoyed this comedy special.  He perfectly articulated that infuriatingly annoying phrase "I'm joking!" and I often think about his Muppets story and the rather unfortunate mistake he made (I worry about making the same mistake in front of my family all the time, eep!)
More Mike Birbiglia: I can't not first recommend episode 361 of This American Life, his story is so funny and we regularly reference it in our every day lives ("you should be dead...").  He has been on TAL a lot, so be sure to search him in the app or on the website and bookmark each episode he's in!  We are also incredibly fond of his "I'm a Bear, etc." story, of which an animated version is available to watch on Youtube.

6. Steve Martin and Martin Short: An Evening You Will Forget For the Rest of Your Life
This special was a true delight.  It's so fun to watch these two together, and it had me hoping that Jon and I are this funny after we've been together for 30 years.  (1/4 of the way there!)((😱))  This hour also made me realize that I would pick Steve Martin to play my dad in a movie.
Favorite moments: the bagpipe scene (IT KILLED ME DEAD), every time the ventriloquist dummy was "dropped," and the old picture slideshow.

Go forth and laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment