01 May 2018

the good season.

I've had these thoughts lately about the fleeting nature of things that are good.

For the last two weeks, and for the foreseeable future, we've essentially been living in a one bedroom, one bathroom home.  Long story short: our home's plumbing turned on us once again and there is now an incomplete wall between Theo's room and the master bathroom.

(Theo thinks this is actually the funniest thing ever.)

Each time we've needed a home repair, it's been a huge (though annoyingly costly) relief after everything is fixed and we have our house back in working order.  I live in peace and happily express gratitude every day thereafter for a newly working {insert "house body part" here}.  Home life is good again!

And then we find water pooling in the yard, or realize there isn't cold air blowing out of our vents anymore, or discover the wall alongside our son's bed is totally soaked through.  The good time ends.


Last week here in Phoenix was beautiful.  It was cool and breezy; the "Spring" that everyone here said has been here for weeks. (In actuality Spring doesn't exist here.  It's pre-Summer.)

Anyway, we all went on long walks every day last week and I was crazy about these pretty flowers that were blooming on the Argentine Giant Cactus beside our house.  I couldn't stop taking pictures of them.  Partly because they were so gorgeous, but also because I knew they wouldn't last long.  And sure enough, the flowers were alive and beautiful for no more than two days before they began to die.



I'm not sure what my resolving thought is here.  I understand the cyclical nature of, well... nature.  I'm not angrily shaking my fist right now or saying why me or life's not fair or anything like that.

I guess maybe I'm just trying to remind myself to appreciate the good when it's here and in season.  To let myself dorkily take a million pictures of a few flowers in as many good angles as I can find without stabbing myself with cactus needles.  And to remember that when the good season leaves it will always come back, however short it may be.



2 comments:

  1. I like that last sentence. I'm starting week two as a mother of three and I needed that last sentence. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And good luck to you, you're doing an amazing thing. <3

      Delete