01 April 2013

this march... and an april fool's story.

when i was in kindergarten, my teacher had a plan: for april fool's day, everyone in class was going to dress crazy: inside out pants, backwards shirts, shoes on the wrong feet, etc.  everyone was going to look and be silly for the day, and everyone was excited.

except for me.

i can't remember why, but i was so incredibly averse to the whole thing.  i don't know if i was really into dressing well when i was six...?  but i was NOT on board with dressing like a fool for an entire school day.

so on march 31st before i went to sleep, i prayed.  i prayed that something would happen, like my teacher would call in the morning and say that the whole thing was off or that i'd be allowed to be the only kid dressed normal.  that prayer was full of skepticism, but i said it anyway and went to sleep.

on april 1st, there was a blizzard and school was cancelled.
and no child from pennsylvania to maine was more pleased about it than me.

did God send a snowstorm just for me?  not really, but as a six year-old i definitely thought so.

april 1st reminds me that prayers are real and that they are answered.
.
.
.
this march required a lot of praying.  i was scared and stressed for a whole lot of it, and for the other parts i was overwhelmed and sort of in a daze like when you wake up from a two-hour nap and aren't really sure where you are.  march madness, am i right?

things have mellowed out as of late and the plan for april is to put that anxiety away with march and not go crazy.  it seems simple enough.
.
.
.
Our life is frittered away by detail.  ...Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity!  I say, let your affairs be as two or three, and not a hundred or a thousand; instead of a million count half a dozen, and keep your accounts on your thumb-nail.  ...Simplify, simplify.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kristin. My name is Natalie Ingram and I grew up with Jon. I just wanted to say congratulations! I spent last night blogstalking you (because your funny and i like to see what many old friends are up to) and couldn't help but think over and over how perfect you guys are. I'm so happy for you! Jon was like a big brother friend to me growing up and I'm so happy to see him find someone so clever and perfect for him.


    Also Harrison Ford and karen allen from raiders of the lost ark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for everything you just said, you are sooo nice! hopefully we get to meet in person... i like you! :)

      Delete