04 August 2020

july reads.

Vicious and
Vengeful, by V.E. Schwab
I loved these two books, and not only can I not wait for the planned third installment, I also am looking forward to re-reading these in the future.  Going into the series, I had this thin understanding that Vengeful was less liked than Vicious, and though my star rating did go down for Vengeful, I by no means hated the book.  I loved the introduction of Marcella in Vengeful so much, it was possibly my favorite character introduction ever.  Also, I love Mitch and hardly anyone in these books deserves him.  If the author ends up killing him off in the future I will REVOLT.

The Turn of the Key, by Ruth Ware
I thought this was a great mystery/thriller, though I think I may need to avoid such stories with children in the future.  It makes the story too intense for me and I start freaking out when the lives of kids are at stake.  Also, if I ever needed steering away from smart homes, this sure satisfied that need.  NO THANK YOU.

One to Watch, by Kate Stayman-London
I decided to get this book after I finished the first 3 books from The Selection series.  I wanted a re-framed Bachelor-esque story with just a touch more meaning and depth.  This was a really great book that touched on society's fatphobia on a stage we haven't really ever seen it before.  It did not shy away from the ugliness that pervades the socials and real-life interactions of fat people, and it was simultaneously sad, infuriating, and disgusting to read the pure ugliness that comes from some people.  I was happy to see a MC that was strong and confident in who she was, but also not immune to the garbage that was thrown her way.  More female MCs who are successful badasses but not completely indestructible.  And of course, there was a happy ending!  I knew right off the bat who I wanted Bea to pick, and I was happy to see that was who she ended up with... but I wanted more.  More of what, I'm not quite sure, but this story was missing some unknown element for me to push it to five stars.

The Tyrant's Tomb, by Rick Riordan
Easily my highest rated book in this series.  My favorite parts were the return of Artemis and The Girls, and Reyna's character arc.  Looking forward to the last book later this year!

Ghost Boys, by Jewell Parker Rhodes
Devastating.  Beautiful.  Perfect.

How to Be an Antiracist, by Ibram X. Kendi
A really great read framed against Kendi's life progression from a self-proclaimed racist to a rehabilitating anti-racist.  This book addressed racism in so many different forms, and I appreciated seeing all of the aspects of it and recognizing where and when I have seen it in my own life.  Though I often felt frustrated when reading this book, I found hope in Kendi's assertion that many of us will swing back and forth between racism and antiracism for much of our lives.  His acknowledging that the transformation to antiracist is a process that takes time also seemed to me like an offering of forgiveness in advance of any mistakes people make when they try to become better antiracists and allies towards Black people, as long as they are continually trying to do the right thing.  Highly recommend this book to anyone trying to educate and/or better themselves.

The Old Guard, Book One: Opening Fire, by Greg Rucka
I read this graphic novel after watching the movie on Netflix, and I was absolutely floored by how closely the movie followed the original source material.  Like, entire conversations in the comics were word-for-word in the movie.  And that perfect "He's not my boyfriend" monologue?  Exact same in both the comics and the movie!  Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading Book Two when it's published together later this year, and hope that it also gets adapted into a movie.

The Boyfriend Project, by Farrah Rochon
A just-okay romance for me!  Characters were completely likeable, story was good, but it wasn't hugely memorable in my mind.

The Bride Test, by Helen Hoang
This was somehow another romance book that got me crying?  I don't know what has happened to me this summer, but I am fully crying at romance books now.  Anyway, I think I liked this just as much as I liked The Kiss Quotient, but after reading Serpent & Dove last year I asked for more books where men learn how to properly have sex with women, and The Bride Test delivered, so I bumped it up a star for that.

The Deep, by Rivers Solomon
I loved this so damn much.  I know not everyone will jive with this, but I thought it was so so good.  I definitely would have loved to read a longer story, but also think it's perfect how it is now.  Also recommend listening to The Deep by clipping. before/during/after reading this book.

Unravel the Dusk, by Elizabeth Lim
The follow-up to last year's Spin the Dawn that was on par with the first book, but also means that I felt pretty lukewarm about it.  A solid duology that I'd recommend to anyone, but not one of my faves.

Howl's Moving Castle, by Diana Wynne Jones
A delight!!!  I've been wanting to read this for some time, and definitely before I see the movie since everyone seems to collectively agree that the movie is better than the book in this case.  But I absolutely loved this book and how magical it all was.  I'm hoping to get the audiobook one day and have it for future road trips when the kids are older and can enjoy it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment