09 February 2019

a tale of two januarys.

I knew that once all of the holidays were over and just the cold was left I'd be thinking about "winters" in Arizona.  While that ended up being true, I was surprised to find that we have all weathered the colder temperatures here much better than I expected (minus that one day our heater broke, but whatever).  And so, I can't say that my pining for Arizona during this time of year has been that strong, save for one aspect I was really missing last month.

I was remembering what I call The Great YA Fantasy Binge of 2017, which began in January of that year.  I read so many books in those two weeks outside on a blanket in our yard that was always at its best during Arizona winters.  The sad realization that I'd never be able to comfortably read outside in January again hit me, and I was really missing our old home and yard.

Theo and I in our yard, January 2017.

And then, what do you know: the snow on the south side of our house melted and the sun made mid-30 degree temperatures feel closer to the 50s.  It was like a visit from The Ghost of Arizona Winters Past (hiya Dickens reference #2!!) and a peek into Spring.  Theo broke out the sidewalk chalk and I took up a lawn chair and began what has turned into The Great YA Fantasy Binge of 2019 (more about that later).

Theo and Vivi in the driveway, January 2019.

It has since snowed again, the chalk has disappeared, we have a snowman in our front yard, and Spring seems a long ways away again.  But we had that one beautiful, sun-warmed week where I didn't really miss Arizona all that much anymore.  I'm nothing if not a cherisher of the little things brought on by favorable weather.



(Like these little footprints! 😍)

No comments:

Post a Comment