09 June 2015

Lemon Yogurt Cake, Ina Garten

One of my goals this year was to try a lot more new recipes each month.  I have a huge collection of hundreds of recipes I've set aside because I want to try them, and this goal was made in attempt to make a dent in that list.  There are a few that I have made and loved and I thought I would share some of our favorites.

The first is a recipe from Ina Garten (there are probably going to be A LOT from her), and it's for a Lemon Yogurt Cake.  I first made this cake in January and I loved it so much I ended up making it three times in a week!  It is perfect in every way.  The cake's texture is spongy and almost velvety, and it is impossible to have a dry cake because of the syrup added add the end.  The lemon makes it refreshing, not to mention the kitchen (and your hands!) smells amazing post-lemon-zesting.  DO NOT substitute anything for the fresh lemons, it would be an incredibly heinous crime.

This cake is great as a dessert, but I especially love it for breakfast.  If I eat two pieces for breakfast, I can still make up for it later in the day.  If I eat two pieces for dessert I can't make it up... but honestly it's hard to regret eating something so delicious.

Best of all, you really don't need any special equipment to make this cake.  Anyone can do it!



Ina Garten's Lemon Yogurt Cake, from Barefoot Contessa at Home



Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
3 extra-large eggs
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/4 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pan.  Line the bottom with parchment paper.  Grease and flour the pan.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into one bowl.  In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla.  Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.  With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it’s all incorporated.  Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup lemon juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolved and the mixture is clear.  Set aside.

When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.  Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan.  While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in.  Cool.

For the glaze, combine the confectioners sugar and lemon juice and pour over the cake.



Lemon Yogurt Cake, Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa at Home


The first time I had this cake I wasn't prepared for how lemony it is, so the second time I diluted the lemon juice with water.  I actually like it both ways, so depending on how much of a tart punch you're in the mood for you can decide to dilute the lemon juice or not.

Good luck to you if you try this cake (but really, it's foolproof) and hope you love it as much as we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment