19 March 2017

3 things.

1. If this month continues on as it has happened, then March 2017 will forever be known as Breath of the Wild Month for me.  This game, people.  It has consumed me.  Let me start from the beginning.

It all began with that teaser video from E3 in June of 2014...

...Okay, I won't start from the beginning and do the whole thing.

But basically, three weeks ago I was agonizing over how in the world I was going to get my hands on a Nintendo Switch so I could play this game -- my anticipation for which has only been building for years.  Midnight lineups were a non option for me since Jon was out of town that week, and I wasn't going to chance going to jail for leaving my child alone at home because of a video game.  Because not even Zelda would be worth that, right?

This is the part where I tell you that I have the best mother in the world, because she woke up at 4:30 in the morning to go to her town's Walmart on launch day on the chance she might get one of the consoles there for me.  Tragically she was unsuccessful, and when I got her text saying so I knew it was all up to me.

I put all of my eggs into the Toys R Us basket, because hardly anyone was reporting that they'd have stock on launch day (and I clicked on every single "Where to find a Switch on March 3rd" article I saw in the week leading up).  So I pulled up to our Toys R Us two hours before the 10:00 am opening with Theo, fully prepared for a huge line and disappointment.

And would you believe it, we were first in line.



So there I was in line with my toddler, either being the greatest mom or the worst mom in the world.  We had lots of blankets and water and Froot Loops and charged iPhones with The Lego Movie queued and portable chargers.  We were probably ready for way longer than a two hour wait, but you know what Scar says!  BE PREPAAAAAAAAARED!

(Anyway, if you're still trying to get a Nintendo Switch, go to Toys R Us, because when the doors opened at ours, there were still 5 unclaimed.)

So then I started playing and it turns out the game truly is amazing and beautiful and lived up to my hopes and dreams.  And I haven't stopped playing, and I've ignored my child, and it turns out that's why I was arrested for child neglect.  Whomp whomp!

2. It is time for me to make my annual declaration, which I swear comes earlier and earlier every year, and that is this: it is too damn soon to be looking for the shadiest spot in the parking lot.

It's been all 90s for the last week, which isn't quite uncomfortable yet, but 50s-80s is where my preferred temperature range is, and I'm not ready to say goodbye to the nice season here.  Last Monday was our first 90 degree day, and towards the end of the day I was feeling pretty good about I was coping.   Then I discovered that Jon had turned on the A/C and so I wasn't as tough as I thought I was being.

I don't think I've ever kept track before, but maybe it's time to start: March 13th marks our first A/C day of 2017.

Summer is coming.
(Am I allowed to say that even though I'm not a Game of Thrones watcher?)
(Whatever, I just did.)

3. Continuing my "Hilarious Kindle Ads" series, I offer this:



The Code Thief: Hacker Dylan Charles finds himself entrapped by CIA Cyber Chief, John McGovern.  Hacking in was hard.  Hacking out was even harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment