02 November 2011

On this month.

I have an opinion on NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), and it is this:

I hate it.

At least, I hate it as it pertains to my writing preferences.

1. I'm still not sold on the idea me of writing novels.  Novels intimidate me, and since I've been thinking short stories for so long now, I can't think any bigger than those.  Also, if I wrote a novel I think I'd want it to be at least somewhat fresh and new.  And as long as I don't have one of those ideas, I'm staying away from novels.

2. I don't like that writers go into a complete frenzy this month.  All they talk about is their future-novel.  And it gets SO IRRITATING.  I don't want to hear about "your baby."  I don't want to hear about how your novel is way better than something else that's already published out there.  And I definitely don't want to be around you when you're all crazy and amped up on coffee for 30 days straight.


3. I don't like the idea of quantity over quality.  And sure, you can argue that 50,000 words at the end of the month is better than zero words at the end of the month.  Or you can argue that it's better to get everything down on the page and then go back and edit it later.  But I'm a snob and I like my first drafts to be readable, so I usually take my time with writing - papers or otherwise.
.
It's mostly this last one that makes me wrinkle my nose at this month-long event.  Even if I had an idea, I wouldn't feel comfortable with sneezing it all out and burdening editors and publishers with it.

All this being said, yes:

I know Water for Elephants was a NaNoWriMo work.
I read it.
I thought it was fairly well written.

So, am I saying every 50,000-word work that comes out of this month and all other Novembers are or will be terrible?

No.

I think I'm saying any 50,000-word work that comes out of this month from me would be terrible.

So, I'm doing you a favor.  You're welcome.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely valid opinions. I would love to participate, however, simply because I am such a lazy procrastinator and sometimes I need external motivation in the form of a month long, word count goal. I thought that when I got an idea for a novel that I was excited about I would be jumpking out of my skin to write it. Now that I do, however, I"m being just as lazy as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait, you have an idea for a novel??? oh my gosh, work on it!! we should try writing circles to get us motivated or something. if other people make me feel embarrassed to feel lazy, THEN i'll do something about it, haha.

    ReplyDelete