28 October 2011

Klosterman's Questions: Three.

Q. Let us assume there are two boxes on a table.  In one box, there is a relatively normal turtle; in the other, Adolf Hitler's skull.  You have to select one of these items for your home.  If you select the turtle, you can't give it away and you have to keep it alive for two years; if either of these parameters are not met, you will be fined $999 by the state.  If you select Hitler's skull, you are required to display it in a semi-prominent location in your living room for the same amount of time, although you will be paid a stipend of $120 per month for doing so.  Display of the skull must be apolitical.  Which option do you select?

A. Is this a trick question?  Because I feel like it's obvious to pick the Hitler skull.  I don't even think I'd have to be bribed with $120 a month to do so either.  And not because I think it would be cool to have Hitler's skull in my possession.  It's more that the other option is beyond unappealing to me because I'd inevitably have to deal with a dead turtle at some point.  (With sincere sadness and shame,) I can barely take care of a few plants for just a few weeks or months.  There's no way a turtle would survive in my care.

Also, what is "a relatively normal turtle"??  Because if we're talking a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, well then I'm down.

But in all seriousness, I think it would be way cool to have Hitler's skull in my living room.  I remember during a college interview once I was asked the question If you could have lunch with anyone, living or dead, who would it be and why?  I reeeeeeally wanted to answer Hitler, but I didn't because I knew I wouldn't be able to clearly explain why.  Saying that I just think it would be cool to talk to him didn't seem like a good enough reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment